Umbria - Places to visit - Magione
Town Hall: P.za Giovanni Pian di Carpine 06063 Magione (PG)
Tel. 075/847701 Fax. 075/8477041
Altitude a.s.l.: 299 m. Maximum Altitude: m.523 (M. Bitonto)
Population (Magionesi): 12200 ca N. of Hamlets: 9
Twin town: Waren (Muritz)
Magione stands on a hilly ridge, which descends to the eastern shores of Lake Trasimeno.
The economy of the place traditionally based on agriculture and fishing, also has a thriving industrial base (furniture, clothing, construction, and other areas). Today, tourism is also beginning to play an increasingly important role.
The district of Magione, considered an important place of transit for pilgrims, belonged to Perugia until the 11th century. The towns history is linked with that of Perugia.
In the 14th century, the Order of the Templars, feared both by the Pope and the Emperors because of its strong independence and great economic and spiritual power, was dissolved. The primitive pilgrims hospice was given to the Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem and then to the Knights of the Order of Malta who are the present day owners.
The present day construction is the result of restoration carried out by the Order of Malta making the castle one of the most beautiful in Umbria.
The historical importance of the events tied to the Castle of the Knights of Malta is essentially in the chronicles of Magione.
Magione was also homeland to Friar Giovanni di Pian del Carpine who was fascinated by idea of long journeys and in 1245 he left for the Orient.
Fifteen months later he arrived in China at the court of the Grand Khan of the Tartars. Upon his return he wrote "Historia Mongolorum" (History of the Mongolians).
SIGHTS TO SEE
In the centre of town
Castle of the Knights of Malta (15th cent.)
Faade of the Town Hall Town Hall
Church of St. Mary of the Graces
Interior of the Church of St. Mary of the Graces painting by A. Di Giovanni from Orvieto Enthroned Virgin and Child (1371)
Parish Church of St. John the Baptist (15th cent. rebuilt in the 20th cent.), contains frescos by G. Dottori
Lombard Tower (12th 13th cent.)
Castle, at Agello
Church of the Annunziata, at Monte Colognola
Abbey with Romanesque style church (11th cent.), at SantArcangelo
Fish Museum, at San Feliciano
FOLKLORE AND EVENTS
"Segavecchia" (lit. Old Saw) (March, mid Lent)
Festival of the "Tortino" (May - Ascension)
Festival of the patron saint - St. Clement (November 23)
Fishermens Festival (December)
TYPICAL LOCAL PRODUCTS
Production of marsh reeds and weeds