Town Hall: Via Vannucci, 1 - Panicale (PG) Tel. 075/837951 Fax. 075/837637 Altitude a.s.l.: 441 m. Maximum Altitude: 645 m. (M. Petrarvella) Population (Panicalesi): 5500 ca N. of Hamlets: 8 Twin Towns: La Verrire (F)
Panicale rises on a spur of Mount Petrarvella, which dominates the valleys of the Nestore River and of Lake Trasimeno.
The local economy is traditionally based on agriculture (oil, wine, cheese and grain) but is also supported by the handicraft industry (wrought iron, and embroidery) and industrial activities (woodwork).
The panoramic position and the local historical, artistic and cultural heritage emphasize the tourist potential of Panicale and open new areas for economic growth.
The origins of Panicale date back to the Etruscans who inhabited the area in the 7th cent. b.C.. It was also a secure refuge for the Roman soldiers who survived the battle of Lake Trasimeno, won by the Carthaginians of Hannibal.
In 1037, Panicale, after the fall of the Roman Empire and after the end of the Longobard domination, became one of the first Italian communes to declare independence and freedom from all external dominating groups
In the 13th century, Panicale accepted the seigniory of Perugia, but in 1316 it returned to being an independent commune with its own autonomous government.
The castle of Panicale was considered one of Italys most important and fortified and resisted all attempts to being captured until 1643, when the armies of Florence conquered it during the war between the Papal State and the Duchy of Parma.
Panicale then fell under the Churchs domain until the Kingdom of Italy was founded.